Puerto Penasco
Resort / Hotel
Room Type
Check In Date picker
Check Out Date picker
Adults
Children
Rocky Point
Find Resorts Find Hotels Insurance Popular Annual Events General Info Lodging/ Accommodations Transportation Activities And Entertainment Services Events and Festivals Real Estate About Rocky Point Blogs About Us Contact us Site Disclaimer
Rocky Point Mexico
Puerto Penasco
Rocky Point
[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > General Q + A

Topic: Bicycling to Puerto Penasco?

Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic
naugahyde

A friend and I are thinking of riding bicycles the 62 miles from Lukeville, AZ to Puerto Penasco in October.
To a non-bicyclist this may sound a little nuts, but the distance is not a problem (we can do it in a day) and we've done other long trips before.

What I'd like to know is, what is the condition of the road, is there anything we should be aware of?
Is there much bus or truck traffic?
Also, what would be the best day of the week - I am thinking of Wednesday or Thursday.

Are there any cycling groups or clubs in the area?

Any information or advice would be very much appreciated - thanks!
Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 pm 
bhance
Site Admin

The road's actually gotten a heck of a lot better in the last 5 years. They did a build up a while ago that helped with drainage, pavement's in better condition, there are some small roadside stops selling sodas, etc.

Having said that ...

The thing is, there is very little between Lukeville and Penasco once you're out of town. Just flat, straight, hot roads. You're on one single 2 lane stretch of highway with only a little bit of berm and a bunch of people doing 75-80mph, including busses, trucks, big municipal dirt-haulers, etc.

It'd kind of be like biking down I-10. But in Mexico. Where the drivers probably aren't as concerned about not running over people on bikes. Hypothetically a non-weekend is the best time to minimize traffic coming from the US, but I'd still be kind of wary of the idea.
Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:46 am 
Velobob

As a cyclist myself, I tend to agree with the first reply. I have seen cyclists on the road nearly every time I've been to Puerto Penasco. There are sections of the road that wouldn't be a problem at all, but others I'd be a little nervous.

I would do it during the week if I did it at all.
Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Rocky Point Mexico
Puerto Penasco
Rocky Point
Rocky Point Mexico