Puerto Penasco
Resort / Hotel
Room Type
Check In Date picker
Check Out Date picker
Adults
Children
Rocky Point
Find Resorts Find Hotels Insurance Popular Annual Events General Info Lodging/ Accommodations Transportation Activities And Entertainment Services Events and Festivals Real Estate About Rocky Point Blogs About Us Contact us Site Disclaimer
Rocky Point Mexico
Puerto Penasco
Rocky Point
[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > General Q + A

Topic: Groceries question

Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic
BBQonthebeach

Is the meat you buy at the grocery store there okay? Is the milk pasturized? Do they accept US dollars at the grocery store? I know this questions sound like I am a complete dummy - I am not, I just don't want to go over there not knowing.....
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:11 pm 
b_hance

yes-sorta, yes, and yes.

Its not uncommon for people to bring their own steaks 'just because' ... some of the smaller shops will sometimes just have a whole side 'o beef behind the counter and cut parts off of that, and this turns some people off because it isn't as spic & span as US markets ...

The bigger markets are going to have stuff thats just as packaged and precut as stuff from safeway. But if you're really paranoid, bring your own meat.

-bhance
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:26 pm 
seadweller

With the new Leys Supermarket it is just like shopping at a Safeway. In fact I have heard that they are a division of Safeway Markets.

Living down here, we shop there all the time and I can buy a package with three Rib-Eye steaks for between $5.00 and $6.00 and they are great!

They have pretty much the same products you can find in the states, only the packaging is in Spanish.
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:09 pm 
Beach Bum

Could someone tell me where the new Leys Supermarket is located please?
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:42 pm 
seadweller

If you are familiar with Rocky Point it's not hard too find Leys. it is on Ave. Constitucion. If you're not familiar with Rocky Point well, it's still easy to find.

On Blvd. Benito Juarez (main street through center of town) if you are coming from the North like you are coming into town you drive to the 4th stoplight.

That is Melchor Ocampo. At that intersection you will see a Corona Dist. and Mamacita's Bar (Gentlemans Club). The road changes direction a little bit to the left if you were to go through that intersection, but don't.

(here's the tricky part)
This is where you would take a right turn, but it's almost like a U-turn because of the direction change in the main street it makes this street look like it is at a 45 degree angle from Bonito Juarez.

In effect you will be originally heading south coming into town and when you turn on to Constitucion you are heading north. Just keep driving on Constitucion about 5 or 6 blocks and you can't miss it. Across the street from Leys is a new department store named Coppels, they look out of place because they're in the middle of a residetial neighborhood. But this is Mexico and there are no zoning laws at least not that I know of here in Rocky Point.

I hope you can understand these directions, it would be easier to turn on to Ave Constitucion if you are coming from the south, then you would take a left at the light at the intersection of Bonito Juarez and Melchor Ocampo.

Good Luck, let me know if you need better directions.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:43 pm 
chuban

I am from Puerto Penasco and I wouldn't recommend you to buy meat ror fish at Ley Supermarket. I have seen people leaving meat packages abandoned in no refirgerated places inside the supermarket and we have no guarantee that Ley throws them away when they find them (maybe they put them back in the fridge!) - Its no a surprise to find meat next to the cereal-

The best meat is from Carniceria La Sonorense (orange building) on Calle Sonora (acros from La Michoacana).
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:24 pm 
surthngaz

Leys Supermarket was great !!
We found everything we needed and meat was cold and perfect.
I encourge you to try anything that looks good out of the selfserve (like deli)next to Bakery we bought Salsa and Mole Etc and all of the food was GREAT! Bakery Items also.
If you love a certin cocktail sauce bring it with you.
but other than that I will not lug any food down from Phoenix any more.
Leys has ya covered Very Happy
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:25 pm 
Hectorin

quote:
seadweller schreef:
With the new Leys Supermarket it is just like shopping at a Safeway. In fact I have heard that they are a division of Safeway Markets.

Living down here, we shop there all the time and I can buy a package with three Rib-Eye steaks for between $5.00 and $6.00 and they are great!

They have pretty much the same products you can find in the states, only the packaging is in Spanish.

The Ley chain is from Culiacan. They're not associated with Safeway. All their meat is from sonoran cattle, the very best in the country. In my opinion, might be close to argentinian and australian, regarded as best in the globe. Razz
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:03 am 
Dave

Hectorin, Leys is part owened by Safeway, and has been for many years. Anybody in management at Ley's can tell you. We are providers for Ley and I know this for a fact. Even Mr. Ley is fast to point this out.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Rocky Point Mexico
Puerto Penasco
Rocky Point
Rocky Point Mexico