Puerto Penasco
Resort / Hotel
Room Type
Check In Date picker
Check Out Date picker
Adults
Children
Rocky Point
Find Resorts Find Hotels Insurance Popular Annual Events General Info Lodging/ Accommodations Transportation Activities And Entertainment Services Events and Festivals Real Estate About Rocky Point Blogs About Us Contact us Site Disclaimer
Rocky Point Mexico
Puerto Penasco
Rocky Point
[ FAQ ] [ Search ]

puerto-penasco.com Forum Index > Fisherman's corner

Topic: Penasco fish trip
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Bericht Post new topic Reply to topic
penasco

Trigger fish & bass just off shore over the last weekend.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 5:21 pm 
Gone Fishin!

We caught some bass & a cool sand shark about 3 foot long July 17th.

Cooked them all up!

Ummmmmmmmm!
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:39 am 

Very Happy That is cool---
Coming down from houston in the first couple weeks in Aug 04...
Were you fishing off shore -- how deep, etc...
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:05 am 

I am coming from Houston as well, are you flying into Arizona or driving from Houston?

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
Very Happy That is cool---
Coming down from houston in the first couple weeks in Aug 04...
Were you fishing off shore -- how deep, etc...
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:32 am 
seadweller

If you're interested in fishing from shore I can let you in on a few of the better spots to fish, what's bitin' what's not.....
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:20 pm 

quote:
seadweller schreef:
If you're interested in fishing from shore I can let you in on a few of the better spots to fish, what's bitin' what's not.....

I'm going down in mid March. What should I use for bait fishing from the shore?
Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:57 pm 
seadweller

Your best bet is to pick up some fresh squid from the fish market in Old Port. This should only set you back a couple of dollars.

If you prefer to use artificial bait or lures, small silver spoons will work, also any type of lure that looks like a baitfish (sardine) of about 1 1/2 inches in size.

But you'll probably get the most action from the fresh squid.

GOOD LUCK
Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:23 am 
fred

Seadwellerr - just wondering what success you people are having up North? Here in Mazatlan it has been a terrible year for fishing from shore. Since October we have landed about seven corvina among the three people I fish with. We still go from 6 am until about 8:30 but are getting rather discouraged.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:20 am 
Waterlogged

Last year in early April, we were mostly catching triggers with spoons from shore (near the estuary). Same story with the squid? The only bait we tried was mussels or clams and that seemed to catch mostly sting rays.

BTW the triggers made very good ceviche, if you change the lime juice frequently.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:24 pm 
seadweller

O.K. here is one of the local tricks that I was shown about 10 years ago when I first moved here to Rocky Point. At first I was a little skeptical, but I have tried it, and have had quite a bit of success.

It's actually quite simple as well. It involves using a peice of very shiney chrome tube about 2 or 2 1/2 inches in length, and the diameter of, Oh let's say an auto radio antenna. (the guy who showed me this technique swares that he didn't break the peice of antenna he gave me off of someones car).

Anyway you just slip your line through the tube and simply add your hook on the end of the line so that the tube slides over the shaft of the hook. You can add a couple of split-shots for a little weight. But only add enough to help cast your line out farther, you don't want it too heavy, so that it sinks. (you can use treble or single hook)

Now you just cast and jig your line back in. It takes a little practice to simulate the right speed of the little silverside bait fish that run up and down the coast during the spring. But once you do find the right action, the Corvina (Sea Trout) can't get enough of this tube.

I would fish from my kayak not far from shore in the area from Manny's Beach Club and around the point to the lagoon at the Vina del Mar Hotel. Usually with the most success in the afternoons between 3:00 and 6:00. This area is also one of my favorites for spearfishing with my Hawaiian Sling. (spear fishing while snorkeling) I have caught and or speared Pargo, some small Grouper, Rock and or Sand Bass and of course the ever present Finscale Triggerfish here as well.

There is one other trick, but that involves the use of explosives. I AM ONLY JOKING ABOUT THE USE OF EXPLOSIVES!!!
Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:29 am 
waterlogged

Thanks for the great tip! I'm sure that I have some old antenna pieces around somewhere (an old transitor radio or two in the garage, most likely). I'll let you know how it works out.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:05 pm 

.. a lot of those fireworks they sell work just fine in water environments ... Smile
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 pm 
R. Barnes

Shrimp are OK bait sometimes. A little trick I sometimes use is to cut a long triangle out of a fish's belly meat, with a little weight and use it like a jig or a spoon.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:38 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Rocky Point Mexico
Puerto Penasco
Rocky Point
Rocky Point Mexico