In the previous blog about RV Caravans coming to Puerto Peñasco, we touched on how these groups get here and where they come from. In part 2 we will be addressing several things to do once you are here as well as what you can and can not bring into Mexico.
After sitting down with Charlie and Geri Sing from The Rambling Suns RV Club (Sun City Elk’s Lodge 2559 who will be the hosts for the trip in October of 2018, one comes to realize that there is a lot of planning that has to go into these caravans when you have a minimum of 20 RV”s traveling together and not just to and from Rocky Point. These trips have to be planned far in advance in order to get the reservations at the RV parks. As stated previously, at one time there were 9 RV parks in Puerto Peñasco and now there are 2 large ones that are on the water that can accommodate that many rigs plus all the other rigs that are already there.
So now the 20 plus rigs from the Sun City Elk’s Lodge have arrived at Playa Bonita on Sandy Beach and have set up home for a week. What do they do next? Usually at the end of the day there is a social or happy hour, followed by an evening pot luck dinner with lots of conversation going on. These groups are made up of folks of all ages so there is something for everyone.
Here is a list of suggested things for them to see our city and everything we have to offer.
1) Tour the Pinacate Biosphere where they will see where Apollo 11 astronauts trained for the Moon landing.
2) Be adventuresome and go Zip Lining
4) Fishing? Go out with Capt. Adolfo Perez on his charter boats or if you want choose one of the Pangas.
5) Sunset Cruises? Choose from Senorita Rita, Intrepid, Pirate Ships, Eco Tours or About Time are just few of the choices.
6) Tour the Oyster Farm for lunch, they also serve shrimp, clams and fish. You can take a tour for this event.
7) City Tour join Russ Black on a great City Tour.
8) Julio Mesa Shell Artist, he will come to Playa Bonita or go to his shop and see him at work and learn how much goes into the pieces of art.
9) Satisfied Frog the end of the Malecon great food and right on the water. Yes it is the Satisfied Frog from Cave Creek, AZ.
13) Need dental work done? Imagen Oral, Dr. Yamamoto are just a few for you to choose from.
When you are coming to Mexico, make sure you have insured your rig and tow vehicle if you have one. This can be done from the USA either on line from several different companies. But it is a must!!
When you are in a caravan, as you enter into Mexico, you probably will all get the green light, which means proceed slowly. If you are traveling in groups of 3 or more, you may get the red light which means stop or they may just wave you on through. If you travel with your fur babies be it dogs or cats, have their shot records handy (they are looking for the rabies shot). If you are coming for more than a week and need a large bag of dog food, chicken is allowed but no beef. An example is the 38 lb. bag of Kirkland Chicken is allowed if it is sealed.
Here is a partial list of things that you can not bring into Mexico. The whole list is very long, so this gives you an idea.
Plants, eggs, dairy products, beef and pork products. Depending who’s list you are looking at, these can change. If you are coming at Thanksgiving, you are allowed one turkey per vehicle (as they recognize this is a big American holiday).
You can bring in 6 liters of wine plus the 3 liters of alcohol, but remember you can only take 1 liter back into the USA. Again with Sam’s Club in Rocky Point, there is no need to haul down a lot of stuff. You can buy cases of bottled water, chicken, meat, pork, cheese, eggs at Sam’s or Ley’s. The town also features the best FRESH SHRIMP and FISH, a lot of great fresh produce markets and a couple of butcher shops. Remember if you are a meat eater, some of the best beef in Mexico is raised in the State of Sonora.
If you have any questions about what you can and can not bring, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will provide you with an answer. Maps of Rocky Point are available, just send an email.
So come on down, sit and relax and enjoy what Rocky Point has to offer. The people are friendly, no traffic congestion, great food, warm weather, beautiful clean soft sandy beaches and sunsets.